I've got a bunch of IoT devices that can only be controlled through the Internet, as all their traffic goes through their own "cloud" server. I want to reclaim full control and low latency on my AC unit.
The device doesn't offer a way to configure a proxy.
I am considering the following:
- install PiHole on my network (I want that for other reasons too)
- get PiHole to snitch what DNS queries the device is making
- configure PiHole to hijack the control server name and route http requests to a server of mine
- have this server log all the traffic an pass it through to the legit control server
- then reverse engineer this logged traffic and implement my own control server
This is going to work only if the device is making http requests to a domain name (and not if it is making them directly to an ip adress). Https could be an issue too.
Does any software exist already, with the kind of MITM features I am looking for: copy and dump the http traffic? Anything simpler than the above?