When reverse engineering consumer hardware products, it can often be helpful to gain as much information as possible outside of the device itself, including:
- Service manuals
- Installation/User manuals
- Circuit diagrams/block diagrams
- Description of operation
- Firmware images
- Any PC-based utilities
- Internal photographs
I have found the following sources useful:
- The manufacturer's site, including using google site search to find "hidden" documents
- Using specific google searches, e.g. limiting to PDF files and "engineers code"
- Using google searches to find open directories ("Parent directory" finds these) containing manuals and other documentation
- Using the FCC database to find test results.
- Finding any relevant patents
Are there any other useful sources for finding out such information?